19 connections in 19 years
This week it was RHP’s 19th birthday.
We’ve come a long way since that day 19 years ago when 135 of us moved into a couple of offices in Twickenham. We didn’t have much at the time, but we did have big ambitions and an inspiring vision to become one of the best service providers in the UK and an excellent employer.
I’ve learnt a lot along the way. And as we also launch our new ‘Connect with home’ branding concept this week, I thought it was a great opportunity to reflect on the 19 connections (learnings) I’ve made in our first 19 years.
- Start with the basics. Always. If you’re trying to do something big and bold, you’ll come unstuck if your basics aren’t nailed.
- Have an inspiring vision…that people can remember! And play it on repeat at every opportunity.
- Keep it simple and avoid complexity with your strategy.
- Work backwards. Think about how you’d like things to be in five years’ time and work out how to get there.
- Be courageous - know what you want to change and go after it.
- Have a plan and stick to it – don’t chop and change.
- Aim high – really high - good people respond to big challenges.
- Trust in good people – don’t over manage them.
- Providing a great service and being a great employer go hand in hand – you don’t get one without the other.
- Highly engaged people deliver high performance.
- Say thank you to people.
- ...And say sorry when you mess up.
- Encourage people to be brave and bold and try new things out – cheer people on and reward those who experiment.
- Fear mediocrity more than failure.
- Focus your innovation – unfocused innovation can be wasteful and chaotic.
- Celebrate success along the way, no matter how big or small.
- Resilience is a key leadership quality – find ways of strengthening it.
- Take your job seriously but not yourself – work needs to be fun.
- Being a CEO is a gift to be valued.
And if I was to add in a bonus one? It’d be that you never stop learning – so here’s to many more connections in the years to come.
Thank you to everyone who has played a part in our journey so far and has helped make RHP the special place it is.
And the most exciting bit? We’ve only just begun.